An enthusiastic gardener and general maintenance person is required for a farm estate on the South coast of Co. Cork.
There is a two/three bedroomed gate lodge with living room and a large, bright kitchen with beautiful estuary views available on site. The estate is in conversion to organic management, with 180 acres currently in tillage. The management plan foresees increases in native woodland (continuous cover forestry) and mixed pasture.
The position would particularly suit someone with an interest in environmental management.
- Experience with chainsaws
- Full driving licence
- Strong and flexible worth ethic
- Interest in organic gardening, farming and horticulture
- Attention to detail and the ability to work at a consistently high standard
- Ability to work alone and use own initiative.
- Experience with a range of machinery including ride-on mowers, strimmers, tractors
- Horticultural or farming qualifications
- City & Guilds NPTC chainsaw qualification
- An ability to maintain and repair stone walls and to be generally adept at fixing things
Your responsibilities will include:
- Mowing/Strimming and garden maintenance
- Dealing with fallen or dangerous trees
- Pruning and hedge cutting
- Organising and management of contractors
- Maintenance of pathways/avenues
- Feeding and caring for animals such as hens, a mule and ponies
- General maintenance of fences, stone walls, gates and outhouses
- Topping and maintenance of pasture fields
- Maintenance of farm machinery
- Tasks and challenges associated with a working farm
- Using initiative and contributing to problem-solving and environmental management on the estate
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, hard-working, flexible individual who is a nature lover and enjoys working alone as well as being able to work with others occasionally.
On the whole, however, the successful candidate will be working alone most of the time.
Closing date for applications is November 1st 2019
Tickets Required/Preferred *(many employers provide these as ongoing training)